More than 50 tourists die in Sichuan earthquake, no foreigner
May 15, 2008
The victims included 35 people whose coach were buried by a landslide. The two other people on the coach were badly injured, according to the emergency management office of Aba prefecture, Sichuan.
The office said as of 8 pm Wednesday more than 10,000 tourists were stranded in Aba, including about 2,900 in Jiuzhaigou and 7,058 in Songpan County.
Yang Changqing, secretary-general of Aba prefectural government, said 1,200 tourists were stranded in Maoxian County of Aba.
There were no reports of deaths or injuries of foreign tourists.
The local government was evacuating the stranded tourists by road and air.
source: Xinhua News Agency
- 33 foreign tourists evacuated from quake-hit Wolong, Sichuan
- UK tourists 'turn up' after Sichuan quake
- Death toll rises to 10,000 in Sichuan earthquake
- Tibet re-open to foreign tourists from Jun 25
- Avalanche in Yubeng (Meili Snow Mt. Yunnan) Killed 2 Tourists
- Northwest Sichuan Circuit
- Foreign Tourists in Beijing Spend $4 bln in 2006
- Jiuzhaigou Map